Registration & Auditions
Learn about the registration and audition processes here at Fairfax Academy!
Interested in attending Fairfax Academy?
Please follow these steps
- Students should speak with assigned School Counselor to talk about Fairfax Academy courses and individual scheduling for next school year.
- It is highly recommended, but not required, that students visit Fairfax Academy.
- It is also recommended that students and parents attend this year's Fairfax Academy Open House. Parents & Students are invited to meet with teachers and visit classrooms! This is optional, but helpful if the student cannot visit during the day, or hasn't made up their mind on which class to attend. It is also a great time for parents to have all their questions answered.
- Once students decide which class to take, and which block to attend, School Counselors will register students via the Academy Registration Portal. Only counselors can register students for Academy classes.
- Students will receive a class confirmation letter in late spring, and a welcome letter in late summer about their Academy class(es) and general information regarding Fairfax Academy.
- If a student is not currently enrolled at a traditional FCPS high school: contact Fairfax Academy Counselor, Maria Martin at @email or 703-219-2384.
Classes requiring an audition:
- Dance 2, 3, 4 - Dance 1 requires an audition for intermediate level only, there is no audition required for beginning level.
- Broadway Dance - No audition is required, but students will be required to complete a brief google interview survey.
- Advanced Acting Methods - No audition is required for Acting Methods, only the Advanced Acting Methods course requires an audition.
- Advanced Musical Theatre
- Musical Theatre Workshop - The 2 credit course does require an audition, but the 1 credit course does not require an audition.
- Music and Computer Technology 1DE
NOTE: Returning students are not required to audition to move to the next level.
2021 VIRTUAL AUDITIONS
Academy Dance Virtual Audition Instructions: If you registered for Dance 2, 3 or 4 (returning dance students are not required to audition), please complete the Dance Audition Google Form and upload a video (video upload instructions are in the google form) of yourself dancing, showing as much of the following as possible (Students must use your FCPS school email to access the google form - i.e. StudentIDfirstname.lastname@example.org):
- You can film a technique class, upload a prior performance, or film yourself in your home.
- An adagio in modern or ballet showing strength, balance, and control.
- A phrase (a series of movements linked together) emphasizing suspension and release.
- If possible, an across the floor phrase changing levels, floor work or jumps.
Note: Dance 1 does not require an audition however 9th grade students who have a dance background can audition for the intermediate or advanced level Dance 1 class. Please complete the google form above and submit your audition video if this applies to you. All Dance Audition Videos are due by March 12, 2021.
**If you have questions about the dance audition instructions - email Mrs. Barnes @email.
Professional Musical Theatre Virtual Audition Instructions: Auditions for the 2021-2022 Musical Theatre & Actor's Studio will be held virtually, via video submission. The deadline to submit the required material is Friday, March 12, 2021 by 3:00pm; however, materials will be accepted as early as Friday, February 26th. (Returning theatre students are not required to audition).
ALL audition materials should be submitted at the same time vs. submitting single segments on differing days. You may submit multiple videos [3 separate]; no need to edit material together.
Please click on this link https://flipgrid.com/mtasauditions for further audition instructions and to submit your audition videos. (Students will need to use their FCPS email account - StudentIDemail@example.com to access the flipgrid auditions link.)
**If you have questions about the theatre audition instructions - email Mr. DiCenzo @email.
Music & Computer Technology 1 (MCT 1) Virtual Audition Instructions: Virtual MCT 1 auditions will be held on Saturday, February 27th and Saturday, March 13th from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm. Registered students will need to sign-up for a date and time slot on the MCT 1 Audition Sign-up Sheet (click on highlighted text/link). Please read the instructions listed in the sign-up sheet on how to access the link for the audition room and to learn what is expected at the audition. Note: Only students who have submitted an academy registration through their school counselor will have access to the sign-up sheet. (Students will need to use their FCPS email account - StudentIDfirstname.lastname@example.org when signing up for the MCT 1 audition). Individual emails will be sent out by Mrs. Martin, our academy counselor, to all registered MCT 1 students with the link to the 2021 MCT1 Audition Sign-Up Sheet (returning MCT students are not required to audition).
- MCT 1 is a dual enrolled class with NOVA and everyone registered for this class must complete the dual enrollment process. The dual enrollment process needs to be completed by March 5, 2021. Note: The dual enrollment process requires students to complete the NOVA application AND the DualEnroll.com registration by March 5th. For more information about the dual enrollment process and to access the DualEnroll.com registration, please check out the FCPS Dual Enrollment Student Site and/or reach out to your base school counselor if you have any questions about dual enrollment.
**If you have questions about the MCT 1 audition instructions - email Mr. Johnston @email.