Students have a variety of options for gaining work and career experience as a part of their Academy education. The following list details some of the career experience opportunities available to Academy students which serve to enhance their learning and preparation for the workplace.
Field trips, workshops, job shadowing, interning, industry site visits, and resume/interview assistance are all part of the career experiences that we offer.
INDIVIDUAL CAREER COUNSELING
- Students may request assistance in determining career direction through assessments of interest and aptitudes. They may also participate in workshops, class activities and special events to learn and enhance job search, resume preparation, interview, and business etiquette skills.
- Based on the career area interests students suggest, area business representatives from those areas will visit Academy classes to present information on the various career fields available, the outlook for that career and other important information to help students with their career decisions, career preparation and job search.
- Shadow opportunities are available throughout the school year when students are offered the opportunity to spend the day with a business representative, receive information about a specific career of interest and get an inside look and overview of the company.
CAREER FAIRS / CAREER EXPERIENCE EXPO
- Some Academies organize annual Career Fairs (in conjunction with base high school). Academy students are invited to participate in the annual event. Fairfax Academy offers an annual career fair for performing and fine arts, and also the Career Experience Expo!
- Students have an opportunity to meet over employers representing federal, state, and local government, as well as private industries. Students looking for part-time employment are encouraged to attend one of the many job fairs offered by schools throughout the county.