Registration & Auditions
Learn about the registration and audition processes here at Fairfax Academy!
Translate this page
Interested in attending Fairfax Academy?
Audition information will be updated in the winter of 2022. Below is last year's process.
Please follow these steps
- Check out our ambassador videos presented by our incredible student ambassadors and program features from our amazing faculty!
- Students should speak with assigned School Counselor to talk about Fairfax Academy courses and individual scheduling for next school year.
- It is highly recommended, but not required, that students visit Fairfax Academy.
- It is also recommended that students and parents attend this year's Fairfax Academy Open House on February 7th at 6:30-7:30pm. Parents and students are invited to meet with teachers and visit classrooms! This is optional, but helpful if the student cannot visit during the day, or has not made up their mind on which class to attend. It is also a great time for parents to have their questions answered.
- Once students decide which class they would like to take, School Counselors will register students via the Academy Registration Portal. Only counselors can register students for Academy classes.
- Students will receive a class confirmation letter in late spring and a welcome communication in late summer about their Academy class(es) and general information regarding Fairfax Academy.
- If a student is not currently enrolled at a traditional FCPS high school: contact Academy Administrative Assistant, Sarah Tarvid at [email protected] or 703-219-2226.
Classes requiring an audition:
- Dance 2, 3, 4: Dance 1 requires an audition for intermediate level only. There is no audition required for beginning level. You will need to sign up in advance for the audition. Please complete the Google Sign-up for In-person dance auditions.
- Broadway Dance: no audition is required, however students are required to complete a brief google interview survey.
- Hip Hop: no audition is required, however students are required to complete a brief google interview survey.
- Advanced Acting Methods: no audition is required for Acting Methods. Only the Advanced Acting Methods course requires an audition.
- Pre-Professional Musical Theatre: audition required.
- Advanced Musical Theatre Workshop: audition required.
- Music and Computer Technology 1: audition required.
- Fashion Careers 1: performance review may be required.
NOTE: Returning students are not required to audition for the next level.
All students should check their fcpsschools.net emails to receive more details directions and direct links.
All Academy course decisions will be made in late March/early April. If you have questions about your Academy registration, please see your school counselor.
2023 Dance Auditions
In-person Dance Auditions Only
You will need to sign up in advance for the audition. Please complete the Google Sign-up by February 24, 2023.
- When: February 25, 2023 (In-person)
- 9-10am for Dance 3 and 4
- 10:15-11am for Dance 2 and Intermediate/Advanced level Dance 1
- Where: Fairfax Academy (located at Fairfax High School - 3501 Lion Run, Fairfax, VA 22030). When you arrive please enter through door #14. Dance auditions will be held in the dance studio.
- Please wear something that you are comfortable moving in that allows us to see your lines. You will also need bare feet, jazz shoes and/or ballet shoes.
Note: Dance 1 does not require an audition, however 9th grade students who have a dance background can audition for the intermediate or advanced level Dance 1 classes. Please complete the google form above and submit your audition video if this applies to you.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Barnes at @email.
2023 Music & Computer Technology 1 Auditions
In-person MCT Auditions (with virtual make-ups for those who cannot attend on February 25)
- When: February 25, 2023 (In-person)
- Last names A-H: 9-10am
- Last names I-Q: 10-11:30am
- Last names R-Z: 12-1p
- Where: Fairfax Academy (located at Fairfax High School - 3501 Lion Run, Fairfax, VA 22030). When you arrive please enter through door #10. Auditions will be held in the MCT lab.
- Audition Requirements: Applicants will be asked to complete the following in person
- Theory/Aural Skills Proficiency: A music proficiency test on the software Musition & Auralia that assesses current knowledge on music notation in more than one clef. Additionally, it will test the ability to identify intervals, harmony, rhythm, and instrumentation
- Keyboard skills: Knowledge of keyboard skills will be tested. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of notes, chords, and a scale. Applicants may be asked to sight-read.
- Performance: Please bring your primary instrument, if able. You are encouraged to demonstrate your craft for up to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Keyboards, amps, and stands are provided.
- All applicants will be emailed a google form with a series of short answer questions. Please use this as an opportunity to tell Mr. Carlin more about yourself!
Makeup MCT Auditions
There will be virtual for all applicants who missed the February 25th in-person audition:
- All applicants will be emailed a google form with a series of short answer questions.
- Theory/Aural Skills Proficiency Test: Will be emailed after google form submission.
- Performance: Students must upload a video demonstrating a performance of their primary instrument. Students upload to their FCPS google drive account and share it with @email.
A reminder that students must use their FCPS school google account to access the google form.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Carlin at @email.
2023 Musical Theatre & Actor's Studio Auditions
Reminder: Returning students are not required to audition.
Virtual MTAS Auditions
All MTAS auditions will be virtual this year.
If you are a new MTAS Academy student and you registered for Advanced Acting Methods, Pre-Professional Musical Theatre, Advanced Musical Theatre Workshop, please complete submit your audition video no later than March 7, 2023:
- All audition materials should be submitted at the same time versus submitting single segments on differing days.
- You may submit multiple videos for each requirement. There is no need to edit material together.
- Begin each video by stating your name and the title of the piece.
- Advanced Acting Method Students submit the google form and monologue ONLY.
- Please click on this link for further audition instructions (including sample audition and dance combination tutorial). Students will need to use their FCPS google account to access the flipgrid audition instructions.
- Audition Google Form: Complete the google form and submit with your audition videos.
- Performance of one musical theatre song. Material must be from a Broadway Musical. Past or Present. Ballad or Uptempo.
- Performance of one contemporary monologue. Material must be modern, post-1980. Comedic or Dramatic. No Shakespeare/Period-Pieces.
- Performance of "Burnin’ Love" dance combination. (Start at 1:54 for an 8 count introduction.)
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. DiCenzo at [email protected].
2023 Fashion Careers Interest Form
We are thrilled you are interested in taking Fashion Careers at Fairfax Academy!
Please fill out the Fashion Careers Interest Form and upload your work examples and introductory video no later than March 7, 2023.
Any applications/registrations received after March 7, 2023 are considered late. Students will be considered on a space available basis and will still be required to complete the Fashion Careers Interest Form.
Incomplete interest forms will not be accepted or considered.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Barry at @email.
For registration questions, please contact:
- Administrative Assistant I
- Administrator, High School Academy
Administrative Assistant: Sarah Tarvid | 703-219-2226