Fairfax Academy Attendance Policy:
Fairfax Academy’s attendance policy follows FCPS guidelines. However, we are considered a separate school, so absences must be reported directly to us. Please do not assume your base school will forward your attendance calls to Academy! Please follow the following guidelines:
- We must hear from a Parent/Guardian for ALL absences. We will not accept notices directly from students. The Parent/Guardian must notify both the Academy and the base school when students are absent for any reason.
- Please use our Attendance Line at 703-219-4060 which is available 24/7 to call in an absence, or complete/submit our online attendance form.
- We do not accept emails to excuse absences. Email notices are discouraged and if received, will be followed up with a phone call to the parent/guardian for confirmation
- We require students to submit a Pre-Arranged Absence Form for all absences known in advance (appts., field trips, college visits, etc.). This form can be found in our office and classrooms, and on our website.
- This form is also required when students must attend a base school activity such as AP/SOL testing, assemblies, meetings, or other bell-schedule changes that cause you to miss your Academy class. It is impossible for Academy staff to know and track all the different school schedules
NOTE: Students must complete and return the Pre-Arranged Absence Form at least TWO DAYS IN ADVANCE of the upcoming activity. Forms not filled out correctly may not be accepted.
All students should be aware that the Academy schedule never changes. We remain on the same bell schedule every day of the school year since we have students attending numerous high schools across the county.
UPDATE on Attendance Line and Absences:
- Be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today.
- Please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
FCPS staff will be responsible for contacting those parents/guardians who have not provided information as to why their student is absent. FCPS staff will also provide the school health team with information regarding any student that has remained home due to the above COVID like illness symptoms.
Actions Required: Schools are to update attendance line and web site messages used for attendance. FCPS staff must contact parents/guardians of any student who has been called in as sick without an explanation. FCPS staff will provide the school health team with information regarding any student that has stayed home due to the above COVID like illness