Do you need one-on-one help and guidance with your resume?
Translate this page
Contact our Academy Career Experience Specialist, Ms. Orr, if you would like one-on-one guidance and assistance writing your resume!
As a high school student with limited work experience---focus on skill-based experiences. Think about where you have gained skills that employers would be interested in. These include: hands-on experiences in class (project-based learning), languages that you speak, computer skills, school and outside activities, and service learning opportunities.
SKILLS THAT ALL EMPLOYERS WANT!
Communication - A person who has listening, verbal, & written skills.
Leadership- A person who is goal driven and collaborative, and can manage conflicts.
Planning/Organizing- An innovative problem-solver who can generate solutions.
Teamwork- A resourceful team player, works well with everyone and is also supportive.
PARTS OF A RESUME
- Name and contact information (complete address, phone number, and appropriate email)
Professional Overview/Summary (optional--challenge yourself to add this section to stand out!)
- Brief list/summary (4-6 lines) of key points that a new employer would want to know about you to show you are qualified
Example: A personable individual with strong communication skills, who is committed to complete customer service and satisfaction. Recognized as friendly, motivated and always welcomes a challenge. Capable, trustworthy, and dependable.
- Highlight your skills (computer, hardware/software, foreign languages or other skills required for the job)
- Include level of proficiency
- List relevant certifications
- Job title
- Name of the company
- Dates of employment
- Location of the company
2-5 bullet items of your accomplishments/roles in each position (Accomplishment Statements)
**For each accomplishment, there is a story about the problem you solved that you can tell during an interview.
- High School Information (GPA, Advanced Diploma, Date of Graduation)
- Post-secondary (Dual Enrollment)
- List relevant activities and leadership positions first
- Add details to demonstrate skills and experiences, if applicable
- Include honors/awards